11.10.2011

Forest Dreams

 Lately I've been in search for wall decorations to give my bedroom a little more personality. Right now it's just a big brown box, lot's of brown... maybe too much brown. I really want to refinish the furniture white but that's a project that will require some super power sander that I honestly don't want to spend the money on. Instead of refinishing furniture I came across this on pinterest. I definitely didn't want an entire wall of birch trees ( maybe in my "in progress" craft room) but I do love me some birch trees.

Instead I opted for some canvas art! I had two lonely 18x12 stretched canvas in my storage closet and figured birch trees will give these poor abandoned canvases some meaning in life.

I basically followed the tutorial but applied it to a smaller surface. 

On my weekly trip to Michaels I wondered into the art supply section and gorgeous Martha Stewart colors caught my eyes. I immediately fell in love with her neutral tones, I LOVE MUTED, CREAM FORMULA BASED COLORS! 
 The colors I scooped up were "Gray Wolf" and "Lake Fog"
Painted "Gray Wolf" all over and sprinkled silver fine glitter while paint was still wet. 

With painters tape I created stencils just how this tutorial demonstrated. 
The birch trees are in "Lake Fog" and the detailing is "Gray Wolf" 
Free handing the bark details was incredibly easy and if you make a mistake just color over it, it's fool proof.

Once finished I felt like something was missing, so I added the "carved" initials but something was still missing. Than on an inspiration seeking trip to Hobby Lobby I came across teeny tiny LED craft lights. TEENY TINY LED LIGHTS! BATTERY POWERED!! I don't know why I felt like I had to buy loads of them  without an actual project in mind but I knew they had to come home with me. At home I sat at my dinner table in it's shambled state and it clicked. I will not only put new art on my walls I will also put up the perfect amount of light for late night reading or just the perfect amount to make me sleepy.... or Monty. 


No comments: